Monday, March 18, 2013

Music Mondays - Zz Ward

Hey friends, how are y'all doing this Monday? I thought of another way to spice things up here on my blog, and that's by recommending/reviewing new music for y'all. To kick it off, I'd like to start off with the artist Zz Ward.




I first discovered Zz Ward when I saw her cd at my store when I was walking through the department. I was intrigued to hear what she sounded like because a lot of the artists on our Discover endcap are not well known, but are really good artists/groups. I looked her up on iTunes, and quickly fell in love with her music and her lyrics.

The first song I fell for is the first song on the album, as well as what the album is named after, Til the Casket Drops. It has a great rhythm, and as soon as she begins singing, we are treated to a melodious, smokey voice. This is actually a love song, where she's telling her love that she will be by his side until one of them dies. (Doesn't sound romantic, but it is). After hearing this song, I immediately purchased the entire cd, and prepared my ears for what I assumed would be an amazing experience, and I was not left down!

My next favorite song takes things down a notch tempo wise, and it is Last Love Song. Instead of a love song or hate song, instead it's a song reminiscing on all of the things and plans that will never happen, now that the couple is no longer together. I personally resonate with this song a lot, being recently single, and find that it says all of the things that I had trouble putting into words. The song is not too difficult to play on the guitar, if one is so inclined to learn it. Last Love Song guitar chords

Song after song we are treated to hit after hit. Honestly, there's not one song on the cd that I don't like. I do have preferences of which ones I listen to the most, but literally every song is a hit. The last song that I actually listened to, weeks after I got the cd, is the last song on the album, 365 Days. It's a great breakup song about a girl who is not going to put up with her partner's crap anymore, so she kicks him to the curb. Literally throwing his stuff out of the window onto the street  below (and I know I'm not the only who's ever fantasized about doing this to someone, even if it's not a lover/partner/etc.)

I recommended her to someone once, but they said she was too country for their tastes. I personally do not feel like she is country. I find her more of a mix between Pop Rock/Blues/Soul, but that's just my interpretation. She's listed as Pop Rock at the store, but that's neither here nor there.

I would recommend everyone to look her up and listen to her music, even if they don't like all of her music, there must be one song they like! Another think that I like is that she is VERY good in person, as well as in studio recordings.



Track Listing:

  1. Til the Casket Drops
  2. Put the Gun Down
  3. Blue Eyes Blind
  4. Home
  5. Crying Wolf (featuring Kendrick Lamar)
  6. Save My Life
  7. Last Love Song
  8. Lil Darlin (featuring The O'Mys)
  9. Move Like U Stole It
  10. Criminal (featuring Freddie Gibbs)
  11. If I Could Be Hear
  12. Charlie Ain't Home
  13. 365 Days

Final Report:
Til The Casket Drops - Zz Ward
45 mins
$10.99 in store
9/10

Available at your local Barnes and Noble, or online at Barnes and Noble.com - Zz Ward

No comments:

Post a Comment