Friday, March 15, 2013

Film Fridays! - Wreck it Ralph

Welcome to a break from your regularly scheduled book review! Now introducing FILM FRIDAYS, where I review a movie that i've recently seen, or just one that I really like. To start us off, I'm going to begin with Wreck it Ralph.


I had the misfortune to miss seeing this movie in theaters, which is a little sad since I live a mile away from a movie theater, which is literally within walking distance from my work. But since I prefer to go see the first showing (because it's cheaper), I usually choose to sleep in on the days that I can go to the movies.

Overall, I did enjoy this movie quite a bit. I found it charming and entertaining, even for adults. The story was new, and a breath of fresh air in my opinion. The writers took a villain and turned him into a hero, showing us that not everything is as it seems. It's a good lesson for children on how to not judge a book by it's cover.

It was fun to see the throwback graphics at the beginning, as well as seeing the different characters from older video games. I liked the way that the older characters moved like they would in a video game of the time, whereas the newer characters had better range of movement. I did feel as if the add of the space character, Sergeant Calhoun, was random, at least until later in the game. My favorite character is probably Vanellope because no matter what, she wants to be herself. Even when the other characters in her game give her mess about being a "glitch".

There were quite a few twists and turns throughout the movie, probably the greatest being the backstory to King Candy. That was something that I was NOT expecting in the least. There were quite a few hilarious moments for me in the movie. I think the support group was very funny, especially Satan asking to be called "Satine". And when Ralph interrogates Sour Bill by licking him, I lol'd for real.

There were also quite a few moments that tugged on my heartstrings, which I did not expect at all. I think the best one is near the end, when Ralph decides to save the day at the risk of everything for him. Though when the characters of the games talked about being unplugged, that really got me, which was one of those odd moments where you sympathize with a fictional character, or characters, and then feel very silly. It did make me reminisce about the older video games that I used to play, and how hard it is to find them these days for cheap. It's almost like they are more expensive than they originally were. (random tangent, sorry)

Once again Disney has made another good movie, but who expected anything else? It's Disney for pete's sake!

Final Report:
Wreck it Ralph
101 minutes
$19.99 - $26.00 (DVD)
$29.99 - $39.99 (Blu-Ray)
8/10

Available on DVD or Blu-ray at your local Barnes and Noble or Barnes and Noble online

1 comment:

  1. This. I like this. It sums up exactly how I felt about the movie. Seeing all the old games I played was a nice touch, the king Candy twist was like a sucker punch to my brain, and Ralph was likable in all aspects.

    ReplyDelete