Monday, March 25, 2013

Music Monday - Soundtrack for the Wheel of Time by Robert Berry

Robert Berry's website

I first discovered the Wheel of Time in Middle School, believe it or not. I had a friend that I met at school and on the bus who was into the books, so he lent them to me and I devoured the first 5 or 6 books, then I think I even bought the 7th.

In high school, a friend of mine who was also in love with the books told me about this cd and how awesome it was, and burned me a copy. At first I didn't really know what to think. Instrumental music wasn't really my forte at the time, but I did give it a listen. Right away I fell in love with track 8, the Winespring Reel, and to me it sounded like something that would be played in a bar/inn at the time, with people dancing and drinking. Slowly, one by one, I started to fall in love with the other songs. They really do embody the feel that Robert Jordan gives in his book, so kudos to Mr. Berry.

There are a few tracks with singing, Including the first track, A Theme for the Wheel of Time, as well as Ladies of the Tower, and the Aiel Approach. While I do like tracks 1 and 11, the Aiel Approach has grown on me in many ways. As a music major, I've had to study gregorian chant, and that's what this reminds me of. To me, I see the Aiel as having an oral tradition background, possibly because of their migratory patterns and moving everything on their backs so paper and books would be hard to bring with them. (But that's just my opinion)

I think my absolute favorite pieces are: Song for Moraine, The Winespring Reel, the Game of Houses, and Voyage of the Sea Folk. There's just something about these pieces that really gets me going, or at least my imagination going. I literally see a regal Queen walking into her throne room in the Game of Houses, with courtiers looking at her, judging her, looking for weakness. I'm weird, I know, but it's what I see.

Track List:

  1. A Theme for the Wheel of Time
  2. Return to Emonds Fields
  3. Song for Moiraine
  4. Traveling the Ways
  5. Spears and Buckler
  6. Dream Walker
  7. The Knowledge of the Wise Ones
  8. The Winespring Reel
  9. The Halls of Tar Valon
  10. Search for the Black Ajah
  11. Ladies of the Tower
  12. The Game of House
  13. Voyage of the Sea Folk
  14. Heart of the Wolf
  15. Journey Through the Waste
  16. Lan the Warder
  17. March of the Trollocs
  18. Rand's Theme (Fanfare for the Dragon Reborn)
  19. The Aiel Approach (Dahl of a Chant)



Final Report:
Soundtrack for the Wheel of Time by Robert Berry
54 minutes
$16.99

Available at Barnes and Noble online

No comments:

Post a Comment