Monday, April 8, 2013

Music Monday - Of Monsters and Men






Of Monsters and Men
OMAM wiki

I first discovered this cd when we received it as an in-store play a few months ago, and to be honest I was not really intrigued by it at all. It just seemed to me to be another folk band, and lord knows there are tons on the market today. I honestly didn't even give them an honest try until someone else put them into the cd player, and I was forced to listen... and boy was I glad that I did. This band has done something different with their music, but I can't quite put my finger on what. It may be because they hail from Iceland (honestly the best thing to come out of Iceland in my opinion), but whatever gives them that something extra, it works!


They have a female and male singer, and both of their voices are light and gorgeous, though they can break out the power when they need to. Many of their songs are very soothing, like Sloom. Others are haunting, like my favorite song Little Talks. I never really understood what the song was about, but a friend of mine told me their interpretation (supposedly from the band's mouth) is that the song speaks of an older couple, and the female is suffering from dementia. But on the wiki page Nanna, the female singer, is said to have described it as one of the couple has died. I like both versions. The music video doesn't really make sense to me, but what can yah do? 

I love Dirty Paws, which is a cute song that doesn't really make sense to me, but I still love it and the whimsical feel to the song. I also love Your Bones, which shows off the vocals of Ragnar/Raggi, who has a beautiful voice, as well as smile! He's just a cutie pie! (sorry... tangent....)




Overall, I greatly recommend this cd, especially if you're into Mumford and Sons, or if you just love trying out new music. I know that some people feel they are getting overplayed on the radio, I never have that problem because I don't listen to the radio! whoo!

(Yes, I know this post is mostly pics and videos, but I don't really know how to put my love for this group into words... I just hope one day to see them in person!)





Track List:
1. Dirty Paws
2. King and Lionheart
3. Mountain Sound
4. Slow and Steady
5. From Finner
6. Little Talks
7. Six Weeks
8. Love Love Love
9. Yours Bones
10. Sloon
11. Lakehouse
12. Yellow Light





Final Report:
My Head is an Animal - Of Monsters and Men
60 minutes
$10.99 (B&N.com)
9/10

Available at your local Barnes and Noble or at Barnes and Noble online



GO BUY IT AND LISTEN!! YOU WON'T REGRET IT!

No comments:

Post a Comment